Named after Edwin Brady, who ran the site from 1883 as a pub and museum of curiosities ‐ a large collection of stuffed animals and skeletons. Edwins is the first restaurant for local publicans Shane Ranasinghe, Michael Robinson, Isaac Tooby and Neil Watson of Parched Pubs. Head chef is Selim Massouf, formerly at the Riding House Café and Village East.
‘The Hole in the Wall’, as it was known at the time, closed in 1901 following complaints about fliers advertising for corpses. Edwin Brady took over St. George’s Tavern (at 202 Borough High Street). He then built up a museum of curiosities to attract more custom and in the mid 1890s changed the name to The Hole in the Wall.
A modest (40‐cover), neighbourhood brasserie, Edwins is open for lunch and dinner every day, as well as brunch on Saturday and Sunday. The menu includes steak tartare; clams & mussels, chilli, garlic; rabbit, polenta, parmesan; grilled seafood bouillabaisse; gnocchi, Somerset blue, walnuts. Starters/small plates are priced from £5.50, mains from £13, cocktails from £8 and wine by the glass from £4.75. An express lunch menu – two small plates and one side dish – is priced at £10.
Upstairs at 202‐206
Borough High Street, SE1.